The first in-season Northeast rankings are about to be posted on the website. They will be on the Local page. WHEN I have the time to address the question about state rankings, I will do one of two things with the Statewide page: Add rankings or delete the page. Right now, I have too much on my plate and the folks in decision power on the state rankings have too much on theirs. Trust me on that.
OK. So. Disclaimers and notes.
- Results are as wrestled through the Bobcat Duals on December 22. Knockout results are not covered by these rankings, TEAM OR INDIVIDUAL.
- The primary — although this is strictly speaking not absolutely true for one weight class (those in it will see it immediately) — variable is head-to-head matchups THIS year.
- If #2 isn’t helpful, I do look at last year, particularly in the event of what looks like would be a tie at the top. Finalists get an edge over placers. Placers get the edge over non-placers.Hopefully that explains a couple of decisions at the top.
- Being undefeated does not automatically put you in at #1. I am really trying to encourage teams to wrestle more competitive schedules going forward. Kids on teams that have softer schedules found themselves lower in the ranking, or out of it, while kids on teams that grind especially hard got bumps based on simple win/loss.
- We have added a new feature this year. “Good wins” and “tough losses” (which translated to all of them). Hopefully, this minimizes the “well my kid beat the higher-ranked kid, why is he lower” thing. Except at the one weight class. All I will say is that there was a five-way logjam that would not resolve itself easily. I did ask for help and got it from a disinterested observer.
- I’d like you to wait at least two or three days before sending me any hate mail and the like. I have tons of writing to do tonight and an actual work thing I do on a weekly basis had to go by the boards temporarily because I wanted you to have these.
As I did with the Northwest site, I will announce the #1-ranked kids on Twitter first. Then I will update the Local Rankings page. They should be there for your review in less than a half-hour.
And, oh yeah, Happy New Year. Next year HAS to be better than this one. Unless you won state in March, in which case, this year was pretty good.